Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Films: Black Swan (2010)

(Film Content Warnings: Disordered Eating, Mental Health, Suicide, Self-harm, Sexual Assault, Blood, Murder, Violence, Sexual Content)



As an early teenager I was never really into films, until I met my current best friend and she introduced me to her favorite movie and her favorite actress, Black Swan starring Natalie Portman. Since then this film has held a special place in my heart.




Black Swan is a psychological thriller released in 2010 and directed by Darren Aronofsky. The plot revolves around Nina (Natalie Portman), a profesional ballet dancer in her mid twenties who is still living with her controlling mother, a retired dancer. Nina gets chosen to play the role of "Swan Queen" in Swan Lake, since she is beautiful, fragile and fearful, fitting the role of the White Swan perfectly. However, the Black Swan, spontaneous, sensual, risk-taking, is her total opposite. 





"He picked me, mommy! I'm the new Swan Queen!"




"Perfection is not just about control, it's also about letting go."


Nina battles with herself as she tries to become both the Black and White Swan, and through her search of perfection on the borderline between control and letting go, she cracks under pressure, losing herself as the Black Swan takes over. 

"It's the role isn't it? It's all this pressure? I knew it would be too much. I knew it!"

"I just want to be perfect."






"The only person standing in your way is you, it's time to let her go. Lose yourself."



"I felt it. Perfect. I was perfect."

Blessed be, 
-Rose

0 comments:

Post a Comment