Saturday, May 9, 2015

Crayon Lipstick


I'm a fan of nonconventional coloured lipstick and broke… not a good combination. So when I heard about this DIY for making your own lipstick I thought I'd give it a shot. 

*This is not a tutorial, since I'm not 100% happy with the how it all came out. I did, however, want to share the process with you guys because of the interesting results. Remember this is for fun and I'm no expert. *


After researching a couple of recipes online and looking in the cupboards I finally decided to use the following ingredients:
  • coconut oil
  • cocoa butter
  • lanolin
  • crayon (of desired colour)
I decided to make a black lipstick, so in a heat proof container I added 1/2 of my black crayon, 1 heaped tsp of coconut oil, almond sized amount of cocoa butter and a pea sized drop of lanolin.


I then improvised a bain-marie so I could melt the ingredients, stirring occasionally with a popsicle stick. 


Excuse the steam, but here you can see that the ingredients are all melted and mixed.


I then poured the liquid into two different lip-balm containers, and put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes for them to cool and solidify. And there you have it!! 


After trying it out I have to say that I was rather disappointed... although the pictures of tutorials I saw online showed something that resulted in lipstick consistency and results, this ended up much like the first result in this video. It ended up being like a lip gloss, and not so pigmented, so when I applied it it left my lips with a slight grey tone. After combining it with different lipstick and colours I discovered that although it can't really be used on it's own, it does work like an excellent lip top coat, darkening the base colour. It gives results much like the V'amped Up! Lip Top Coat from NYX (according to reviews). It darkens the colours and gives it a glossy finish. 

*   *   *
Overall, although the results were not what I was expecting I still ended up liking what came out and it was really fun to make. Sorry that I didn't include and photos of the lipstick on me or even swatches, but my camera broke so I didn't get the chance to take any. However I can get a hold of a camera, so if your are interested in seeing the results tell me in the comments below and I'll make a follow up post!


Blessed be,
~Rose

0 comments:

Post a Comment